Buko Pandan Drink with pandan gelatin and shredded young coconut in creamy coconut juice is refreshing and delicious. This tropical drink is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Our weather is beginning to heat up, and G has been firing up the grill more regularly. We decided to eat our lunch al fresco this weekend, and the resident grill master turned out quite a backyard feast for us.
He made bacon-wrapped hot dogs and cheeseburgers, and I took care of the potato salad, peanut coleslaw, and various summer drinks to beat the heat. G enjoyed watermelon coolers and cucumber agua frescas while I hydrated myself with this ice-cold buko pandan drink. Creamy and chock-full of young coconut strips and pandan-flavored gelatin cubes, this tropical beverage is perfect for the dog days of summer.
- Agar-agar– usually sold in bars or powdered form. Agar-agar works similarly to gelatin, but unlike gelatin, which is made from animal collagen, it is obtained from seaweed. If agar-agar is unavailable, you can substitute gelatin. Follow the recommended cooking instructions on its packaging.
- Young coconut– locally known as buko. Use a hand grater to shred.
- Coconut juice– the refreshingly sweet water inside the coconut.
- Coconut milk– adds a rich, creamy flavor.
- Pandan extract – a food enhancer from the plant screwpine or vanilla grass; has a mild grassy aroma that enhances the palatability of many foods, especially desserts. Pandan leaves can be used in place of the extract. Add a knotted leaf to the coconut juice when boiling with agar-agar, then discard before chilling.
- Use coconut juice instead of water to soak and cook the gulaman for more buko flavor.
- Shred the gulaman bars finely and soak for at least 30 minutes so they’ll dissolve quickly when cooked.
How to serve and store
- This buko pandan drink is delicious served chilled or over ice. It’s a refreshing beverage perfect for Summer!
- Do not leave this buko pandan drink at room temperature for an extended period to ensure food safety. It contains coconut and will spoil quickly outside refrigeration, particularly in warmer weather.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.